Tuesday 17 May 2016

The Ugly Black Woman

I am an ugly black woman too just wanting to be heard
Who doesnt want to be heard?
One way or the other, whether we say it or not, we want to be heard.
Being a woman, makes that even harder
When I say Ugly Black Woman, i do not mean it literally, what I am simply trying to say is,
I am a woman, and for many reasons have been victimized and playedvictim, but who hasnt, we all do it.
 For many reasons, have been criticized and picked apart and rebuilt over and over again, I have been underestimated and scrutinized, I have faced gender inequality and I have faced abuse
, I have carried the weight of all that comes with being female, by that i mean, the physicality of being the female gender, the changes that come with growing up and becoming a woman, theresponsibilities,
 I have faced the struggle of trying to break into an industry that alot of people said i couldnt do
I have faced the competition between man and woman for superiority, and most of all
I have faced being a female with female friends, every female knows what thats like
In all that, all i ever sought was to be heard and to be seen, as a person, as a woman with a voice, with an opinion, a woman.
Its not only about gender equality,its universal, cause my hey,  women give each other a hard time too!
An ugly black woman only seeks to be heard and to be seen as something and someone other than the labels she has to bear given to her by society, she just wants to be heard.
We all do

Yours sincerely,
An Ugly Black Woman.

Inspired by Being Mary Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment